Wednesday, May 16, 2012

They say a lot of things about Paris

We've been in Paris for three days now and they've been up and down and all around days, emotionally speaking. Traveling here from Rome was hectic and stressful and sleep depriving. We almost got on a flight to Bari (we thought Italians just had a funny way of pronouncing "Paris." Like I said, sleep derepived.) After getting off the world's ricketiest airplane (RyanAir was just so cheap) and surviving the metro system, we dropped our bags off at the hotel and headed straight for the Eiffel Tower. It was a beautiful day so we plopped down on the grass and slept/read/listened to music/people watched for several hours. For the first time in almost three weeks we had no agenda and nowhere to be. It was heavenly. I felt more content, laying in the grass and looking up at that huge tower of steel, than I have in a long time.

So far it's been a perfect mix of site seeing and simply relaxing. We saw the Arc du Triomph and Eiffel Tower at night, the Louvre (honestly just sitting outside that building is mind blowing), the Notre Dame Cathedral, and the Galleries de Layfette. Site-seeing is a blast but can be hectic in running all over the place. Today we took it easy and did laundry. That alone was an experience. A very nice French lady ended up having to help us use the machines and I'm pretty sure she thought we were idiots. But three different slots for soap would confuse anyone.

We spent the rest of the afternoon sitting in a Starbucks. It may seem like a waste of time in Paris but I both needed the time to chill and loved listening to the culture around me. At first I was worried about the extra time in Paris but it's giving me a chance to get to know the culture. Just trying to make Goshen College proud. But I digress.

We meandered over to the Moulin Rouge which was cool to take of picture of but that's about it. Later we hit the Louvre and were astounded by its glory and architectural beauty. The Mona Lisa was okay too. We topped the day off with the Eiffel Tower at night. Not shabby at all.

I like the city of Paris a lot. I've mastered the metro system and love being able to blend in on the street, a luxury I did not have in Guatemala. Well, I blend in here until I open my mouth at least. This is something I try not to do. I love listening to the French language and thoroughly enjoy people watching on the metro and in cafes.

The food is delicious, though I have yet to have crepes or champagne. We're failing at the whole French Cruisine thing, but in our defense we're on a budget. I can't get enough bread, the paninis are to die for (though Daniel Penner's give them a good run for their money) and the creme brulee nearly put me into a diabetic coma.

I wouldn't say I've fallen in love with the city, mainly because to say you've fallen in love with Paris is arguably the most cliche statement to make and I would have to fight the urge to hit myself...but I like the "vibe" of Paris (I went hipster with "vibe" rather than cliche.....the lesser of two evils I suppose). But the city is just so chill. It's not bustling and crazy. People are just chill. That's the best description I can give. And there are always musicians playing in the metro! Yesterday we heard Hallelujah and Canon in D Major performed by a small orchestra.

Our schedule is so incredibly relaxed because we have a lot of time here in Paris and the same will go for London. Its an adjustment from the class tour where we were constantly going. I find myself waking up feeling the need to go, go, go and its nice when I realize I can do anything I want. And that means sitting outside a cafe, reading my kindle, marveling at the beauty of the Louvre or drifting in and out of sleep under the Eiffel Tower because I'm in freaking Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment